Custody and visitation rights are not absolute. Custody orders can be amended based on changes in circumstances. Experienced child custody law firms like The Daugherty Law Firm know that the court must always protect the best interests of the child. And if a parent believes that the child is not receiving the best care with the custodial parent, he or she can seek to change the custody arrangement.

Anger and emotions can cause a parent to accuse the other of not taking proper care of the child. A child custody attorney can help you change an existing custody order or protect your rights if an ex-spouse threatens to take action.

Modifying a custody arrangement

To get a custody arrangement modified, the moving party has to show that a substantial or material change impacted the security or stability of the child. This type of change can include:

  • Child abuse
  • Neglect
  • Relocation of the custodial parent
  • Fitness of the custodial parent
  • Violation of the terms of a custody order
  • Interfering or threatening to interfere with the relationship of the child and the other parent
  • Illness or disability
  • Remarriage
  • Being arrested
  • Instability in the environment of the custodial parent, such as frequent job changes
  • Economic instability

You may think that getting remarried, getting a new job, or moving to a new house would be beneficial for your child. However, a noncustodial parent can use your remarriage, your new job, or even your move to a new house to institute a change in custody.

Our child custody attorneys in Manassas, Virginia areas can prepare the legal documentation required to seek a change in your custody order and can also help you defend against an unwarranted claim.

Contact us

Contact a Prince William County child custody lawyer at The Daugherty Law Firm to discuss your child custody matters. Don’t let a change in circumstances affect your time with your children.

Click here to contact The Daugherty Law Firm online and discuss your legal needs, or call our office at 703-659-2437 to speak with our experienced custody attorneys.

We offer reasonable fixed fee arrangements and accept major credit cards.